Housing Choice Voucher (Section8)

The Housing Choice Voucher Program (Section 8 Housing Program) is a popular program where the Coos -Curry Housing Authority pays a portion of the rent directly to a landlord on behalf of the participant. There is a waitlist for this program. Interested families are asked to complete a pre-application and provide Social Security Numbers to get placed on the wait list. There is no preferences for applicants. Everyone is placed on the wait list by the date and time of their pre-application. Once an applicant has reached the top of the wait list they will be contacted via mail for a more detailed application along with required income and asset verifications. Interested families can apply through this web site, by mailing in an application or by coming to our administrative office located at 1700 Monroe St. North Bend OR 97459.

What is the Housing Choice Voucher program?

The HCV program allows private landlords to rent apartments and homes at fair market rates to qualified low income tenants, with a rental subsidy administered by Coos – Curry Housing Authority.

The Housing Choice Voucher Program, more commonly known as Section 8, is the federal government’s major program for assisting very low-income families, the elderly, and the disabled, to afford decent, safe, and sanitary housing in the private market. Participants are free to choose any housing that meets the requirements of the program and is not limited to units located in subsidized housing projects. Housing Choice Vouchers are administered locally by public housing agencies(PHAs). The PHAs receives federal funds from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to administer the voucher program. A housing subsidy is paid to the landlord directly by the PHA on behalf of the participants. Participants then pay the difference between the

actual rent charged by the landlord and the amount subsidized by the program.

Am I eligible?

Eligibility for a housing voucher is determined by the Housing Authority based on the total annual gross in. come and family size and is limited to US citizens and specified categories of non-citizens who have eligible immigration status. In general, the family’s income may not exceed 50% of the median income for Coos and Curry County as published by HUD.

Coos County Curry County
Bedroom Size Payment Standard Bedroom Size Payment Standard
0 $742 0 $870
1 $863 1 $1036
2 $1111 2 $1299
3 $1578 3 $1845
4 $1876 4 $2125
5 $2157 5 $2443

How do I apply?

The HCV program wait list is currently open to new applications; to apply for the HCV program, please click here.

Scroll to Top